The 2022 California Invention Convention will be a virtual competition.
This year, as in years past, student inventors in Kindergarten through high school are asked to identify a problem in their own lives, or that of their families, or the community – and engage in the iterative process of creating an invention to solve that problem. Finalists from throughout the state submit videos of their winning invention prototypes, along with supporting documentation, to compete in the state competition. Winners will earn prizes and have the opportunity to compete at Nationals competition, held by the Invention Convention Worldwide and the Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation.
There are a set of requirements in order for a student to be able to participate in the 2022 California Invention Convention. Requirements are found here.
2022 California Invention Convention Schedule:
- November 15, 2021 – Registration open for teachers or program leaders participating in the program
- January 15, 2022 – Registration closes for teachers and program leaders
- February 9, 2022 – Inventor registration opens
- February 25, 2022 – Judge registration opens
- March 24, 2022 – Hour-long Judge training session 4PM Zoom
- March 25, 2022 – Last day for teachers and program leaders to submit names of their students participating in the 2022 California Invention Convention
- March 28, 2022 – Hour-long Judge training session 7PM Zoom
- April 9th, 2022 – Inventor registration closes
- April 13th at 10AM, 2022 – Judge registration closes
- April 14-25, 2022 – General judging
- April 25th-29th, 2022 – Special awards judging
- May 6th – Awards announced
National Invention Convention:
- The 7th annual Invention Convention U.S. Nationals will be held at The Henry Ford in Dearborn, Michigan from May 31 to June 3, 2022. Finalists from CaIC virtually participate in the National Invention Convention.
Global Invention Convention:
- Date TBD: – 2022 Global Invention Convention is presented by Raytheon Technologies and is a celebration of the best student inventors from around the world.