It is important for you to register so that school, district and teacher information is correctly connected to your students when they register. Your information needs to be in the registration system before we can open the registration to the students. The benefit to you is that you will be able to keep track of which of your students are registered. Registering yourself and your school takes less than 5 minutes……
Instructions on how to register:
- Go to ca.zfairs.com – this will bring you to the home page for registration for the California Invention Convention.
- Go to the Create Account tab at the top and pull down Schools. If your school is already listed then go on to step 3. If not, click on Register Another School and fill out the requested information. The address and phone number are for the school, not for you. (If your district is not there, complete the registration and then send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of your school and the missing district and we will fix it). Once complete, click SAVE and go onto Step 3.
- Go to Create Account tab and pull down Teacher. Fill out the information – the email and phone numbers you enter are the contact information we will use if we need to connect with you. After you choose your school (you can choose multiple schools by holding down the CTRL button), let us know if you will be attending the event on April 13th – and tell us which grade you teach.
- Once you have finished the registration, you will receive an email with your Username and Password (hold on to these!). You can periodically log back into the system to check to see which of your students have registered. Go to ca.zfairs.com, login with your Username and Password. You will then see at the top on the left My Students tab. Click on that and it will list your students and their projects.
How Many Students Can You Send to the State Convention?
We allocate the number of students per classroom based on number of participating classrooms balanced against the size of our venue. This year we will have space for 200 inventions. Once we have the number of registered classrooms and teachers, we will be able to let you know the number of your students you can send the California Invention Convention.
Making Sure Your Students Are Ready:
The requirements for the board, as listed in the Invention Log, are as follows:
consolidated place on the poster:
- Student(s) Name(s)
- Project Name
- Student(s) Grade(s)
- Student(s) School
- School City, State
- Preferred Industry-Focused Category – (You can find this list on our website – Requirements and Restrictions )
- Patent Status: (Most of your students will not have a Patent Status so just have the student say No Patent Pending. If the student does have a Patent Status – contact us for further instructions.)
Pictures included in Student Registration:
This year, during the registration process, we are asking all students to upload a picture of themselves in the Profile section as well as upload at least one picture of the invention itself. If the pictures are not available during the registration, the student can go back and enter them later. We may be using the profile pictures as part of looping video at the event, so smiling closeups would be nice!
4 Minute Video:
All inventions must submit a 4 minute video two weeks prior to the competition which created according to guidelines you can download here – Creating Your Video. Guidelines are also available through the Requirements and Restrictions tab on our website. A link to the instructions will also be available during the student registration. Note that if the invention is a team project, then they upload one video with both inventors. Inventions with videos submitted later than the 2 week deadline will not be eligible for industry category awards.
Any questions, please contact us.